Saturday, November 16, 2013

Teachers Are Also Different

Not only is each student different, but each teacher is different and has something different to offer students.  I had the wonderful opportunity to teach my field class for the last three days because my cooperating teacher is at a teachers' conference.  The sub for my class is a retired principal.  I felt so nervous teaching in front of him, wondering what he was thinking.  After the first day of teaching, I asked him what suggestions he had for me.  He said that I needed to find what works for me.  I can try out the other teacher's ways of managing the class, but I need to find what works for me.  He emphasized the point that all teachers do things differently. They need to find what works for them, and while they are trying to figure it out they may not do everything perfectly and that is all right.

Knowing that it is all right to "mess up" and not do everything perfectly the first time helped me to not be so nervous for the next day when I taught.  I learn so much about myself each day I teach and learn what works for me. I hope, as I continue to teach, I can also learn what works for each of my students.

1 comment:

  1. Finding YOUR voice as a teacher, and YOUR heart and soul in what you do and believe about it, turns you into a "REAL" teacher (have you read THE VELVETEEN RABBIT?). You're WELL on your way! (3 pts.)

    ReplyDelete