Thursday, September 12, 2013

4th Hallmark of Differentiation

In my last post I reflected on how hard I think it will be to differentiate for all of my students and meet each of their individual needs for growth.  The 4th hallmark states "Individual growth is emphasized as central to classroom success."  My question about how to differentiate for each student was partially answered in class yesterday when my teacher explained that you teach all the students  using whole group instruction, but encourage and give the students support in reaching their own personal best.   It is impossible to do one-on-one instruction with each student to reach personal growth, but I can work with the class as a whole and support and guide individual students in reaching their individual best as needed. I am excited to learn more about how to do this during the course of this semester.

I have been pondering about how important it is for me as a teacher to let each student know that I care about them and want them to feel safe and secure in my classroom and like they can learn and grow.  For my students to be able to grow in my classroom they have to feel welcome and like they have a purpose in coming and participating.   In the reading from chapter 2 of the "Fulfilling the Promise of the Differentiated Classroom" textbook the need for establishing ties with each student was discussed.  For me as a teacher, I have to know my student before I can help that student grow individually.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate being able to "see" your thinking about the things we've discussed and that you've read. This is a great process that will help you "get" this, and remember it... and be able to apply it. 3 pts.

    ReplyDelete